It was on June 14, 1957, that the Most Reverend Mark K. Carroll, Bishop of Wichita, proclaimed Holy Cross parish. The third Catholic parish in Hutchinson, Holy Cross was created to serve some 300 families in the northern tier of Reno County townships and in Hutchinson, north of 14th Street.
Father Vincent G. Brown was appointed by Bishop Carroll as the first pastor. The first Mass was celebrated on June 23, 1957 in the 4-H building on the Kansas State Fairgrounds. This was the site of Sunday Mass until construction of the new church and school building was completed. And thus began Holy Cross parish.